Protect your budget against the high cost of turf maintenance with Bowie Buffalograss.
Bowie provides the turf professional and novice alike with a low maintenance turfgrass, without sacrificing quality.
Buffalograss is known for its low water usage, wither hardiness and low vertical growth habit. These traits reduce labor, irrigation, mowing and fertilization costs significantly. Bowie buffalograss meets all of today’s standards for a low maintenance turfgrass. Bowie was developed by the Native Turf Group in cooperation with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. It is a four clone synthetic turf-type buffalograss. Parental clones were selected from Texas, Colorado and Nebraska, on the basis of developing a widely adapted seeded turf-type buffalograss variety with excellent turf quality. Developed specifcally for turf quality, Bowie possesses medium green color, fine leaf texture, good turf density, and low growth habit. Bowie has improved lateral growth for quicker establishement.
Why choose Bowie over other turf grasses?
Bowie has a wide range of adaptation extending across the entire country as well as Africa, Asia, Europe and South America. Prior to its release in 2001, Bowie buffalograss was ranked number one for turfgrass quality among seeded varieties at 28 locations evaluated in the 1991-1995 National Turfgrass Evaluation Program (seeded) Buffalograss Cultivar Test. Bowie has shown genetic stability by performing well consistently across years and locations. Bowie is performing well in the current NTEP Buffalograss Trial, exhibiting excellent turf quality (table 1) and Summer Density (table 2).
|Turfgrass Species||ET Inches/Week||Relative Water Use Rate|
|Bermudagrass||1.5-2.5||Medium to Medium-High|
|Perennial Ryegrass||2.0-3.2||Very High|
|Tall Fescues||2.1-3.6||Very High|
|Dr. Bob Shearman, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Personal Communications.|
Specifications for Bowie Buffalograss
- Scientific Name: Buchloe dactyloides
- Adaptation: North Central and Southern
- Color: Medium Green
- Leaf Density: High
- Winter Hardiness: High
- Disease Resistance: High
- Ease of Establishment: Excellent
- Spring Greenup: Excellent
- Seed Quality: Certified, Primed with KNO3
Recommendations for Bowie Buffalograss
- Usage: Golf Courses, Residentail Lawns, Industrial Sites, Acreages
- Seeding Rate: 2-3 lbs. seed per 1000 sq. ft. (1-1.5 kgs. per 100 sq. meters) in a firm seed bed
- When to Plant: When soil temperatures are consistently above 60 degrees F (16 C).
- Where to Plan: Sites with 6-8 hours sun per day, good drainage. (All soils except sand.)
- Method for Planting: Cover seed from 1/4-1/2 inch (0.6-1.2 cm)
- Watering: Frequent light watering during establishement. Infrequent deep soaking for mature turf.
- Days to Emergence: 14 to 21 days
- Time to Establish: 60 to 90 days under optimum growing conditions.
- Fertilization: 1-3 lbs. N per 1,000 sq.ft. per growing season.
- Herbicides: None during establishment. After establishement use only products labeled for buffalograss.
- Mowing Height: 2-4 inches (5-10 cm) for best turf